Real Salt Lake 2, Houston Dynamo 1 | 2019 MLS Match Recap
It was a dream start for RSL with Baird picking off the ball at midfield, sprinting alone to the edge edge of the box, and firing one in only 34 seconds into the contest.
Tomas Martinez found the equalizer in the 32nd minute, pouncing on a rebound that Rimando gave up before slotting a tough-angle shot past the veteran goalkeeper.
Thomas McNamara, meanwhile, was unlucky not to score in the first half for the Dynamo, who were already eliminated from playoff contention. The Houston midfielder had one goal disallowed for offside after Video Review and another that bounced off the post before being saved off the line by RSL defender Aaron Herrera in dramatic fashion.
- 1' — RSL — Corey Baird | WATCH
- 32' — HOU — Tomas Martinez | WATCH
- 75' — RSL — Jefferson Savarino | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: Based on other results, Real Salt Lake would have secured a postseason spot even with a draw or loss. But snapping a three-game winless streak was important for RSL as they try to earn a good seed and build momentum heading into the playoffs. Without much to play for, the Dynamo fought valiantly heading into the final home game for another retiring legend, DaMarcus Beasley.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: The Dynamo might not have thought they were in danger of giving up a goal when Kyle Beckerman played a ball to Sebastián Saucedo, who passed it over to Savarino. But with sublime skill, the Venezuelan striker turned a seemingly benign buildup into the game’s decisive moment.
Jefferson puts us on the brink of clinching a playoff berth in the West pic.twitter.com/9mTed9SQNK— Real Salt Lake (@realsaltlake) September 30, 2019
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Let’s stick with Savarino, who picked a good time to score his eighth goal of the season.