Chicago Fire 3, Montreal Impact 2 | 2019 MLS Match Recap
Chicago grabbed all three points and is unbeaten in three straight as they surge closer to a playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. The Impact lost their sixth league match in the past seven.
Bacary Sagna scored on a header in the 76th minute, and Montreal, down 2-0 early, looked like it had come back for at least a draw. But Schweinsteiger headed in a set piece and Chicago held on for the win.
Dax McCarty and Nemanja Nikolic scored early for the Fire. McCarty had a quality finish, a low but hard shot in the eighth minute off a pass from Schweinsteiger, who spotted McCarty with a pass from the wing.
The Impact cut the lead to 2-1 in the 34th minute on Saphir Taider's penalty kick. Taider was taken down in the box by Chicago goalkeeper Kenneth Kronholm in a race for the ball, and scored his team-leading ninth goal of the season.
- 8’ — CHI — Dax McCarty | WATCH
- 19’ — CHI — Nemanja Nikolic | WATCH
- 34’ — MTL — Saphir Taider (penalty) | WATCH
- 76' — MTL — Bacary Sagna | WATCH
- 88' — CHI— Bastian Schweinsteiger | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: The Fire... on fire? They have lost just once in five league games, and sit on 30 points, just three out of playoff position in the Eastern Conference. Seems they could be finding a groove at a good time. The Impact fought back and were the better side in the second half, but they are reeling. Somehow they remain in the playoff picture.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Schweinsteiger showed a flash of what made him an international star in Germany, and it came at a great time for the Fire.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Schweinsteiger had a goal and assist, making the most of limited touches.
- CHI: Wednesday, August 14 at Portland Timbers (11:00 pm ET | MLS Live on ESPN+ in the US, MLS LIVE on DAZN n Canada)
- MTL: Wednesday, August 14 at Cavalry FC, Leg 2, Canadian Championship (9:30 pm ET; OneSoccer.ca)