Santos Laguna 4, NY Red Bulls 2 | Concacaf Champions League Match Recap
Resumen Santos 4-2 NY
Revive el golazo de Brian Lozano en el resumen de la victoria de Club Santos a New York Red Bulls #SCCL2019 #SANvNYRPosted by Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League on Tuesday, March 12, 2019
Then the hosts only needed nine minutes to dash the Red Bulls' CCL comeback dreams, scoring four times after the 72nd minute to win 4-2 on the night and advance to the tournament semifinals 6-2 on aggregate.
While Estadio Corona partied late, there was stunned silence in the opening 10 minutes.
Academy product Omir Fernandez repaid the faith shown in him by Red Bulls head coach Chris Armas, who gave him the surprise start, by scoring his first goal for the senior team after just four minutes.
Daniel Royer then leveled the aggregate five minutes later. Florian Valot started the sequence by feeding Bradley Wright-Phillips in the box. The Red Bulls talisman held the ball up briefly before slipping a pass into space to Royer, who beat goalkeeper Jonathan Orozco from 13 yards out.
But defender Jose Abella scored what would be the decisive goal of the series in the 72nd minute, firing high inside the far post.
That opened the floodgates for Santos with Brian Lozano tapping past RBNY goalkeeper Luis Robles four minutes later. And after Diego Valdes scored in the 79th minute, Lozano closed out the scoring with a long-distance blast from midfield for his second goal of the night.
- 4’ — RBNY — Omir Fernandez
- 9’ — RBNY — Daniel Royer
- 72’ — SAN — Jose Abella
- 76’ — SAN — Brian Lozano
- 79’ — SAN — Diego Valdes
- 81’ — SAN — Brian Lozano
New York Red Bulls (4-2-3-1): Luis Robles -- Connor Lade, Aaron Long, Tim Parker, Michael Murillo -- Sean Davis, Florian Valot (Mathias Jorgensen 65') -- Daniel Royer, Kaku (Andreas Ivan 82'), Omir Fernandez (Derrick Etienne 65') -- Bradley Wright-Phillips
- THE BIG PICTURE: The Red Bulls were aggressive from the start, stunning the hosts early and looking relatively comfortable for long stretches. A pair of subs seemed to disrupt RBNY's flow and the avalanche of late goals followed just a few minutes later, prompted by some uncharacteristic turnovers.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: When Abella opened the scoring for Santos with 18 minutes left, RBNY still only needed a goal to advance. But Brian Lozano's 76th minute goal on a fortuitous pass that squirted through the legs of RBNY defender Michael Murillo proved to be the backbreaker, extinguishing any final hope for the visitors.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Lozano was a threat throughout and he scored his two goals in a five-minute span late to secure Santos safe passage into the semifinals.
- RBNY: Saturday, March 16 vs. San Jose Earthquakes (3:30 pm ET | Univision, Twitter, MLS LIVE on DAZN)