Montreal Impact 1, Atlanta United FC 2 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
On Saturday night at Stade Saputo, Martinez scored his 23rd and 24th goals of the season to lead first-place Atlanta to a 2-1 win over the Montreal Impact in a game that featured an hour-plus weather delay.
Martinez’s first goal of the night came in the 31st minute and the MLS Golden Beat leader missed a big chance at another just before halftime, when the game was delayed due to a lightning streak in the area.
Ignacio Piatti's 87th-minute strike was not enough for the Impact, who saw a five-game home winning streak snapped.
- 31' — ATL — Josef Martinez | WATCH
- 57' — ATL — Josef Martinez | WATCH
- 87' — MTL — Ignacio Piatti | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: Atlanta continued to show what they’re made of by improving their road record to a blistering 7-2-2. No other team in the league has more than five wins away from home this year. The Impact, meanwhile, will need to regroup after a tough few days that included a Canadian Championship ouster and now a rare home loss in league play.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Martinez’s movement and poise on his first goal showed why he’s such a dominant scorer. Knowing he was offside, he didn’t chase after a Miguel Almiron through ball, instead making a run into the box and expertly following the flight of a Hector Villalba cross, even after it grazed the head of Impact defender Rudy Camacho.
This is the eighth goal Josef Martinez has scored via header this season, more than with either foot from the run of play. He’s 5-foot-6! https://t.co/JZ9maowyau— Doug McIntyre (@ByDougMcIntyre) July 29, 2018
- MAN OF THE MATCH: It’s Martinez, obviously. After Saturday’s brace and a hat trick last week, the bigger question might be when he passes Roy Lassiter, Bradley Wright-Phillips and Chris Wondolowski, all of whom currently share the MLS single-season record of 27 goals.