Orlando City SC 3, San Jose Earthquakes 2 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
The scoring started very early, as rookie Chris Mueller took a long field switch pass from Yoshi Yotun, dribbled straight at goal parallel to the endline, and blasted the ball in the net in just the second minute. It was his third consecutive game with a goal in his young career.
Sacha Kljestan added a goal late in the first half off a counterattack with the Earthquakes looking for an equalizer. Mueller unselfishly provided the final pass to make it a tap-in for the playmaker.
The result seemed to be fully wrapped up in the 69th minute, as Dom Dwyer scored his 100th goal as a professional to make it 3-0 for the Lions. Andrew Tarbell then made a save on a penalty from Justin Meram to provide the visitors with a late highlight. Sandwiched between the PK save was an unlikely brace from San Jose midfielder Florian Jungwirth, both off corner kicks, to make the Lions nervous in the final moments.
- 2' – ORL – Chris Mueller | WATCH
- 35' – ORL – Sacha Kljestan | WATCH
- 69' – ORL – Dom Dwyer | WATCH
- 78' – SJ – Florian Jungwirth | WATCH
- 90' – SJ – Florian Jungwirth | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: Orlando City continue to build on their strengths, as they dispatched of the visitors in relatively easy fashion after several tightly contested games in the opening weeks. The Quakes, meanwhile, continue to struggle to put together a complete performance on both sides of the ball, although Jungwirth's goals and Tarbell's PK save give them something to build on.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Mueller's early goal set the tone for the game and showed that the on-fire rookie is a player to watch in MLS right now.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Yotun offered the skill and bite promised when he was signed as a Designated Player. The Peruvian had two terrific assists from deep and helped boss the midfield to keep San Jose off-balance all game.